Saturday, February 19, 2011

Big Beautiful Muffins
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups lowfat plain yogurt
2 large eggs
8 Tbsps. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Raw sugar

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable oil spray. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the yogurt, and eggs together in a medium bowl. Gently fold the yogurt-egg mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the melted butter.
Use a large ice cream scoop or measuring cup to divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with raw sugar. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

For blueberry muffins: Fold in 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries that have been tossed in 1 Tbsp. flour into the finished batter. If using frozen blueberried, rinse them in a strainer until the water runs clear, then drain on paper towels and pat dry before stirring (unfloured) into the batter.

My notes: I got this recipe from
America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook (one of my favorites!). A lot of their muffin and bread recipes use yogurt which make them nice and moist without using a ton of butter or oil. I always have vanilla yogurt in the fridge so I used that and decreased the amount of sugar to 3/4 cup. I also used 1 cup of the white wheat flour...next time I might use 2 cups, sometimes it comes out too dense if you use too much of it. The recipe didn't call for the raw sugar on top, but I thought it was a good addition. It gave them a nice crunch on the top. The muffin cups are very full before baking and make pretty big nuffins (I guess that's how they got the name!). I'm gonna make this my "go-to" muffin recipe from now on!

No comments: