Friday, February 23, 2007

Chicken Mirabella
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup pitted prunes, halved
8 small green olives
2 Tbsps capers, with liquid
2 Tbsps olive oil
2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 (3 lbs) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

In a medium bowl combine the garlic, prunes, olives, capers, olive oil, vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread mixture in the bottom of a 10x15 inch baking dish. Add the chicken pieces, stir and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove dish from refrigerator. Sprinkle brown sugar on top and pour white wine all around chicken.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, spooning juices over chicken several times as it is baking. Serve on a platter, pouring juices over the top, and garnish with fresh parsley.

My notes: I recently found a recipe for this type of chicken on Denise's friend,
Laurel's, blog. I found a different version on Allrecipes and thought I'd give it a shot. Originally I would've been completely turned off to the idea of chicken and prunes, but I had made a recipe a few years back for an exotic pot-luck at Erin & Jermaine's (the first time I had met them actually!) and it came out pretty tasty! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the bone-in kind. Next time I might stick everything in the crockpot for the day after it marinates overnight. It's always nice to come home to a house that smells like cookin'!!

No comments: